Official discusses financial aid status

Marking its 100th anniversary, the Wild Women of Walsh Hall hosted events including a hospitality tent, dinner and a Mass that were attended by more than 100 alumni as well as a number of present students.

"Our celebration is not only this weekend, but the entire year will be a celebration," senior Meg Mirshak said. "This is not only about remembering the history of Walsh Hall, but celebrating the men and women who lived here." 

Sophomore Kelsey Burke said Walsh began the weekend by gathering everyone in a hospitality tent for pizza Friday.

"After the pep rally on Friday all the girls in the dorm, alumni, family and friends were invited to enjoy pizza in the hospitality tent," she said.

Burke said she has helped with planning of the festivities, which started last spring, and has continued throughout this year.

"We sent out e-mails to alumni of the Hall saying we had 100 tickets to the game and to please join us," she said. "We were expecting over 100 alumni to attend." 

A major component that went into planning the celebration was collecting history and reflections from members of the Walsh Hall community, Mirshak said.

"Walsh Hall was the first women's dorm, in 1972, which was the first year of co-education at the University," she said. 

Included in this weekends events and decorations were posters marking important events in Walsh Hall's history, a poster with pictures of notable alumni and a 20-minute documentary of past and current Walsh residents.

"We put together a documentary with reflections from both male and female alumni, Fr. Hesburgh, Fr. Blantz and current residents," Mirshak said. "They spoke of their experiences, funny stories, current traditions, the spirit of the hall and the community." 
Mirshak said one of the reasons why they were able to compile the documentary was because the community of the dorm is so powerful.

"Our community is so strong, who wouldn't want to be a part of it?" she said. 
Sophomore Kate Gerbich, whose mother also lived in Walsh, said community is one of her favorite parts of the dorm.

"My favorite aspect of Walsh is its community and tradition," she said. "With less girls you get to know all of them more." 

The celebration of the 100th anniversary of the residence hall will continue with various events though the year

"Celebrating 100 years is so important, it shows just how important the dorm community is," Mirshak said. "Even with the new dorms that have been built, the old ones are continuing their legacy."