SGA reviews guidlines for club sponsorship

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) reviewed updated guidelines for sponsorships at their board meeting Monday night. 

The new handout that was sent around to all recognized campus clubs at the College outlines the requirements and protocol for requesting sponsorships from SGA. The new format breaks sponsorships down into three categories: Service, Academic/Education, and Campus Programming, student body president Jenny Hoffman said. 
Clubs requesting money under Service or Academic/Education sponsorships can receive between $200 and $1,000 in funding. Requests under the Campus Programming category have no minimum requirement and can receive a maximum of $2,000, Hoffman said. 

Clubs can only request sponsorship money to put on events that are open to the entire student body; SGA is not funding outings solely for the club members. Clubs are also required to state exactly what the money they are requesting will be used for, Hoffman said. 

SGA is also getting ready for the approval of clubs' monetary allotments. Voting was originally scheduled for Monday night but the deadline for clubs to request an allotment was extended until this coming Friday, so approval by the SGA board will take place next week, Hoffman said. 

The Navy Ball with the Midshipmen of the Naval Academy is quickly approaching. The dance will be held after the Notre Dame football game against the Naval Academy on Nov. 7. 

The formal dance will be open to all Saint Mary's students on a first come first serve basis with admittance granted upon presenting a Saint Mary's ID, junior class president Meghan Helmle said. SGA is seeking to secure Angela Athletic Facility as a venue for the dance, but this has not yet been confirmed.  

The SGA board also discussed possible ideas for a service project they could do as a group, in order to give back to the South Bend community. Possible ideas include Habitat for Humanity and a leadership conference for local high school girls. 

"I think that Saint Mary's prides itself on making known the importance of service," Hoffman said. "It only makes sense that we as a student government fulfill that."