SMC Golf: Saint Mary's wins 3rd Jamboree

In what some might consider the most important match of the year so far, Saint Mary's put on another impressive performance en route to capturing first place in the third MIAA Jamboree of the year.

The Jamboree, which was held at Kalamazoo University, provided the No. 2 Belles with an opportunity to expand their conference lead going into this weekend's fourth and final MIAA event of the year, which will be held in South Bend at Blackthorn Golf Club.

Accordingly, the team responded with a record day, shooting a total score of 325, the best team round ever posted at Kalamazoo's Milham Park Golf Club. The previous best was 335.

Martyna Mierzwa added another chapter to an already impressive freshman season by claiming medalist honors for the second time in an MIAA jamboree and the fourth time this fall with a low score of 74. This score tied the Saint Mary's record for lowest round in an MIAA event.

Following Mierzwa was sophomore Natalie Matuszak, who finished in third place with an 82. 

Looking ahead, this weekend's tournament is the final chance for Saint Mary's to build a buffer before going into the MIAA Championship next weekend. Captain Perri Hamma emphasized the importance of the match on multiple levels.

"This is our home turf," Hamma said. "So not only do we need to protect our course but we have to take advantage of the fact that we know this course better than any other team."

Hamma had a difficult time naming one player who she hoped to step up this season, but for good reason.

"I would have to say that the entire team has surprised me this season," the captain said. "We have all worked so hard to get where we are and have worked well as a team on and off the course."

If the team continues on the remarkable pace it has set this season, there is no reason they can't widen the margin between them and second place Olivet, who currently trails Saint Mary's by 15 strokes in the conference. 

"The top five need to come out and get into the rounds from the first hole through the last," Hama said. "If we do that, I know we will not only win but we will gain some ground on the other teams."