SMC Soccer: Team looks for victory vs. Bluejays

Having lost three of their first four MIAA conference matches of the season, the Belles will put a temporary halt on conference play when they host Elmhurst today at 4 p.m.

Saint Mary's (4-9-1, 1-3 MIAA) has struggled as of late, scoring once in their last five matches outside of their lone MIAA victory over winless Trine.

Their last time out, the Belles dropped a lopsided 5-1 decision to conference foe Alma Saturday. The Scots jumped out to a 3-0 halftime lead and never looked back. Saint Mary's only goal came just minutes into the second half when senior Micki Hedinger netted her third goal of the season, the ninth of her career.

Senior goalkeeper Patty Duffy did all she could in net, recording eight saves on the afternoon, but Alma's 20 shots proved too much for the Saint Mary's defensive unit.

Against Calvin last Tuesday, the Belles played one of their best defensive games of the season but again struggled on offense and failed to capitalize on their scoring chances. The Knights managed just one goal against a stifling Belles defense, but were able to keep the Saint Mary's offense off the board.

When they have been able to produce goals, the Belles have looked to senior Katy Durkin, who has four on the season despite starting just two matches. Senior Colleen Ferguson has also been a big contributor, netting two goals on the season. Combined with Hedinger, the veteran trio account for half of the Belles' goals this season.

The visiting Bluejays (7-5, 2-2 CCIW) will present a tough challenge as they enter today's contest having won two of their last three games, their only loss coming in a close match against Illinois Wesleyan. Illinois Wesleyan overwhelmed the Belles 5-0 on Sept. 16.

Looking ahead at the rest of conference play, the Belles have four MIAA matches remaining, three of which are on the road. Saint Mary's will travel to Albion Saturday before playing their last home match of the season against Hope on Oct. 20.