SMC Volleyball: Belles take on Calvin as part of 'Dig for Cure' promotion

The Belles square off in an important MIAA matchup with Calvin tonight, but this game will carry much more importance than just any conference showdown. That is because the teams will be playing to raise awareness for breast cancer.

The Belles will sponsor the Dig for the Cure contest against Calvin, an event in partnership with the Susan G. Komen Foundation to raise money for cancer research. All of the teams in the MIAA conference will put on an event similar to this for one of their matches in the month of October.

The format is simple. Each player will go out and ask for monetary pledges per dig in the match. The average number of digs per game for the Belles will be multiplied by that pledge, and the total amount will be given to the Komen Foundation.

If the Belles maintain their season average of 17.5 digs per game tonight, a pledge of five dollars will amount to $85 toward cancer research. They will also be selling pink deserts and pink t-shirts at the concession stand during the game.

To raise the most money, the Belles will have to play stellar defense, something that has been somewhat suspect in their last two games this past weekend where they dropped two contests by scores of 3-0.

"We were not able to play our game on Saturday," coach Toni Kuschel said. "There were times that we were able to gain control but we were not able to ever capture a comfortable lead."

The Belles now turn to their next opponent, the last MIAA opponent on their schedule that they have yet to face. No.11 Calvin is having its usual successful season and is currently 11-4 on the year.

History is also not on the Belles' side as the Knights swept the series last year with two 3-0 victories.

The Knights feature one of the most powerful offenses in the conference, and have more than twice as many many kills per game as their opponents.

"We expect them to come out and play us strong as they have played everyone else this year so far," Kuschel said. "They have a really good offense so our defense will really have to be on [tonight]."

The match will begin at 7 p.m. in the Angela Athletic Facility.