Solidarity through chastity

While I agree with Mr. Mullen's Viewpoint letter ("Don't ask, don't tell," Oct. 7) I propose that we take his argument a step further. "DuLac" states that, "Because a genuine and complete expression of love through sex requires a commitment to a total living and sharing together of two persons in marriage, the University believes that sexual union should occur only in marriage. Students found in violation of this policy shall be subject to disciplinary suspension or permanent dismissal."

This policy applies to all students - heterosexual and homosexual. It should therefore be a given that homosexual activity, like heterosexual activity, is not permitted at Notre Dame. However, I find it unfair to condemn homosexual activity without addressing the presence of heterosexual activity, most prevalent in the likewise sinful "hook-up culture." As Christ warns, "How dare you say to your brother, 'Please let me take that speck out of your eye,' when you have a log in your own eye? You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" (Matthew 7:4-5).

Before we judge the actions of our homosexual brothers and sisters, let's take another look at our own. If we are to truly live our Catholic heritage, then we must stand not only against homosexual activity, but also against unchaste heterosexual activity. Let's live the CORE Council's "Spirit of Inclusion" by upholding the dignity of every member of the Notre Dame family - gay or straight - by accepting our universal call to holiness through chastity. Only then can we truly stand in solidarity.

Lindsay Williams

senior

Lyons Hall

Oct. 7