Students stand up to discrimination

When I first read the letter "Don't ask, don't tell" (Oct. 7) I felt sick and frustrated with this university where somehow archaic beliefs proven inconsistent with the Church can continue. However, reading today's Observer gave me hope when all the letters to the editor were united in exclaiming how incredibly misinformed and misguided Sean Mullen must be.

The Notre Dame Spirit of Inclusion states: "We welcome all people, regardless of color, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social or economic class, and nationality, for example, precisely because of Christ's calling to treat others as we desire to be treated. We value gay and lesbian members of this community as we value all members of this community." I am glad that people are willing to speak out for these students who should not be treated like a minority or fringe group on this campus.

However one has to question whether or not gay and lesbian students really are included if they are not given the same rights of other students I specifically refer to SAO's continued denial to give permission for the formation of groups and organizations for support and community. Why is including homosexual students in the Notre Dame community openly considered acceptable by the University and yet acknowledging the existence of a club for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and allied students considered not? Sometimes it feels as though Notre Dame's desire to maintain a specific image to the outward world is more important than the needs and desires of the students who are here.

Ellen Rolfes

senior

off campus

Oct. 7