Turn it up

As Ron Burgundy once said: "I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like you can take it, and if you don't, send it right back."

As you know, recent opponents have called our stadium "quiet." While this is no doubt attributable to the many wine-and-cheese alumni who enjoy nothing more than to tell other patrons to sit down during the game, our student section could improve. I propose two enhancements:

1. When the band plays the Celtic Chant, make noise. Waiving your arms in silence is not intimidating, nor does it contribute to home field advantage. During the game against UW in the fourth quarter, as soon as the band began to play the Celtic Chant the whole section around me became silent and pumped their arms skyward in unison. If we are to continue this "cheer" let us add some crowd noise. Yell along in unison with the band.

2. Make loud continuous noise from the end of the play to the subsequent snap of the ball. Many times our student section does not begin to cheer until the other team has broken the huddle and has come to the line. If we were to be loud from the end each play it could hamper the other teams ability to call the correct play in the huddle and lessen their time to make audibles and calls at the line of scrimmage. There is no shame in being unable to speak on Sundays.

Aaron Solem
law student
off campus
Oct. 14