International Education Week helps students navigate in a global culture

Sponsored by International Services and Activities (ISSA) and the Office of International Studies (OIS), Notre Dame is dedicating this week, International Education Week, to events that promote or will advise students on issues of international relevance. Since Saturday, a variety of events have been held on campus, and the schedule continues until Friday.

The paper tents on the South Dining Hall tables that advertise for this week carry, on the front, the smiling faces of three girls each from a different corner of the world and, on the back, the weekly schedule. The first event, held last weekend, was the "One World Film Festival," where five widely acclaimed international movies were screened at the Hesburgh Library. The point of the film festival was to use cinema to display a reality that is often overlooked, such as that of children growing up in the streets of Bombay or in a Brazilian slum. Some of the movies played were the widely acclaimed Brazilian movie "City of God," and the Oscar-winning Chinese documentary "The Blood of Yingzhou District."

The rest of the week's events seem to be geared to the international student population, with a couple workshops for those students planning on studying abroad. A workshop that takes place three times this week is the Tax Assistance Program, directed at helping international students with advising on federal and state tax returns (this same event will held again today, from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. at the Fischer and O'Hara-Grace Community Room and noon Thursday in the Montgomery Auditorium in LaFortune).

Otherwise, there is also the "Dia de los Muertos Ofrenda" exhibition at the Snite Museum of Art, which focuses on the artist's displays of traditional "ofrendas" (memorial altar, offerings) for All Souls Day in Mexico, incorporating elements of her late father's life and memories, to whom she dedicated this exhibit.

The One World Film Festival and the Ten Thousand Village Sale (Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. in O'Shaugnessy) provides insight into the working reality of artisans. The Ten Thousand Village sale boasts a variety of beautiful handmade products crafted by artisans in 38 countries who, without this organization, would've most likely Still coming up this week is the Study and Travel Abroad discussion with Notre Dame senior Andy Steves at the Montgomery Auditorium in LaFortune (Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.), where Steves will talk about his experience and advise when it comes to traveling in Europe. Also, for international undergraduate students there will be an ice cream social on the same day, from 7 p.m. until 8 p.m., to meet new people who share a diverse background. Finally, on Friday there will be another workshop about safety when studying abroad (10 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the Notre Dame room in LaFortune).  
For the full program, please visit issa.nd.edu/news-and-events