ND Women's Soccer: ND lands No. 2 seed in NCAAs

No. 4/5 Notre Dame earned a No. 2 seed in the 2009 NCAA Women's Soccer Championship, meaning that the Irish could host up to four more games in Alumni Stadium during its inaugural season.

The Irish (17-3-1) enter the NCAA Tournament fresh off their second consecutive Big East championship and 11th title overall.

As a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, the Irish are guaranteed to host at least three home games and would only travel if they were to face No. 1 Florida State if both teams advance to the region final.

Irish coach Randy Waldrum said he was pleased with his team's seeding in the Tournament.

"I thought all along we had a good outside shot at getting one of those top four seeds, but we could have dropped anywhere from four to six," Waldrum said. "I'm okay with that though because it means we get at least three games at home and only one on the road. As you know, anything is possible in sports, so we could have four games at home as well." 

Looking ahead, Waldrum said he sees a similar road to the College Cup that year's squad faced on its way to a runner-up finish.

"I think we had a favorable draw and we got about what we anticipated with IUPUI coming in," he said. "After that, if you can get through that first weekend you're probably going to face a very good Ohio State or Florida team, which is comparable to last year where we caught a one-loss Minnesota team."

Last year, the Irish carried an undefeated record into the national title game but North Carolina pulled off a 2-1 victory over Notre Dame to spoil its title hopes.

The Irish will begin their run for their first National Championship since 2004 when they face IUPUI Friday at Alumni Stadium.