Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Need some respect

Respect for one's adversary is certainly admirable, as is consistency in principle. I don't know for sure, but it's reasonable to presume that there are men on the Nevada, Washington and even Southern California football teams with military commitments after graduation, who are fully prepared to "make the ultimate sacrifice for us." It's also possible, even probable, given the numbers, that there are players on these "hated" rival teams who have suffered the pain and grief associated with the murder of a close friend or family member. In light of this, to treat teams to a different array of chants and taunts is asinine. Shouting "kill" or "suck it" is always in poor taste, as is "f**k the Pope" or "Rudy sucks" but these swipes are tolerated as the products of fierce loyalty. Although sympathetic concerns like those expressed by Greg Robinson are noble, they were one reason the student section sounded like s**t against Navy for three quarters. When a rival (be it Navy or the 12 Apostles) comes to our university to try to defeat our football team — and have a fairly easy time of it — we maybe need to reconsider our balance of decorum and passion. 

Arthur O. Kostendt

freshman

Dillon

Nov. 9