Report Card: Notre Dame vs. Connecticut

Quarterbacks: B+

As usual, Clausen's numbers were phenomenal. But as the offense's leader, he deserves some of the blame for the unit's uninspiring finish.

Running Backs: B

Allen had a nice day with 170 total yards, but his fumble on Notre Dame's last drive in regulation gave the Huskies a shot at a makeable field goal.

Receivers: A-

Tate and Floyd both registered at least 100 yards and a touchdown yet again, but the Connecticut defensive backs made big plays in critical situations.

Offensive Line: B+

Clausen was sacked twice and pressured in some critical situations, but the line paved the way for some good gains by Allen.

Defensive Line: D

The front four got manhandled in the critical fourth quarter, as the Huskies were able to physically dominate with a run-first attack.

Linebackers: C

Brian Smith made a critical interception in the end zone, but the linebackers looked a step slow and out of position too often in the run game.

Defensive Backs: B-

The secondary contained Frazer for most of the day but allowed a touchdown pass on 3rd-and-9 in the first overtime.

Special Teams: B-

Ruffer made three big field goals and Turk looked solid in his return to punter. But the Irish gave up a kickoff return touchdown that changed the complexion of the game.

Coaching: C-

The Irish came out firing on offense but inexplicably went away from the no-huddle approach that worked well in the first quarter, and the run defense looked lost at the end of the game.

Overall GPA: 2.59

Another disheartening loss on a day when the Irish hoped to send their seniors out with a victory.