SMC Swimming: Saint Mary's drops first meet of season

Saint Mary's opened up its season on the wrong foot, losing 180-107 to conference foe Kalamazoo.

Wabash College also competed in the meet, swimming against the men's team of Kalamazoo.

The Belles were led by freshmen Ellie Watson and Katie Griffin and sophomore Audrey Dalrymple, each of who took first in two separate events. Watson took the 1000-yard and 500-yard freestyle events and Griffin claimed the 100-yard backstroke and the 100-yard butterfly. Finally, Dalrymple took the 200-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard Individual Medley. Dalrymple also contributed with a second place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Other contributors included freshman Caila Poythress with a second place finish in the 200-yard backstroke, freshman Anna Vandecaveye in third in the 100-yard freestyle, and senior Meredith Lierz with third in the 50-yard freestyle.

Both A-team relays also finished second to bolster the Belles' point totals. The loss was a step back from last year's result where the defeat was only by a 10-point margin.

The Belles will now have a two-week break before they enter the water for their next competition. They will travel to West Lafayette, Ind., where they will swim against Carthage College at Purdue University.

The Belles have not faced Carthage in three years, when they lost 121-79 back in 2006.