SMC Volleyball: Belles fall thrice to continue streak

Saint Mary's ended the regular season with three lopsided losses this weekend, contributing to a seven-game losing streak.

The Belles (9-16, 5-11 MIAA) played Friday against a scrappy Kalamazoo team.  The Hornets were a good match for the Belles but eventually took the match 3-1. Sophomore outside hitter Lindsey Stuss led the way with 12 kills and juniors Meghann Rose and Ellen Huelsmann anchored the defense with 24 and 21 digs, respectively. Senior captain Lorna Slupczynski added nine kills, which put her over the 300-kill mark this season.

The Belles then traveled to Angola, Mich. to take on the final conference opponent on the schedule, No. 13 Calvin College, and a season-ending non-league matchup with Hanover College Saturday.  The Belles were not up for the challenge, however, dropping both matches 3-0.

The Knights dominated the entire match, taking the second set by an astounding 25-4 score. With very little to highlight in the stat book, Slupczysnki had the best numbers on offense with six kills, followed by sophomore setter Danie Brink's 16 assists.

The Belles played better in the second match of the day, but were still only able to get within four points of taking a set.

With the regular season officially over, the Belles must put the losses in the past and turn it around quickly before the first round of the MIAA tournament on Tuesday.

"We are facing a very strong team this next Tuesday," Kuschel said. "We will hopefully have one of our starting middle hitters Andrea Sasgen back this Tuesday night which will not only help offensively but defensively as well."

The Belles are 9-10 with Sasgen in the lineup and 0-6 without her.