Students look for last home win despite recent losses

Though storms brew around the future of the football program and signs of winter weather hit campus this week, students say they will be ready to prove they are not fair- weather fans when Notre Dame takes on Connecticut Saturday.

"I think the team is going to want to reestablish themselves for the last home game," sophomore Katie Carter said.

Carter predicted Saturday's game will be close but said she thinks the Irish will pull out a win.

"It's going to be close, like every other game this season," she said. "But with all the debate and controversy, I think they are going to be pumped up about it, and try to restore the faith in the team."

Carter said she expects cold weather for the game, but that the weather will not dampen her enthusiasm.

"I'm dreading the cold, but I'm excited for everything that goes along with home football games — all the people and the festivities," she said.

Sophomore Maya Thode also said the cold weather will not deter her from attending the game, but she hopes she will not have to watch Notre Dame lose in the cold.

"I don't want to wait in vain in the cold. I don't want a repeat of the Syracuse game," Thode said. "I think we can win. We just have to get it together, not just as a team but as a fan base."

Junior Patrick Toole said he is especially rooting for an Irish win because he has friends who go to school at Connecticut.

"I'm from Connecticut so if we lose I'll get lots of crap," he said.

Though Toole said he was concerned about Jimmy Clausen's ability to play in a cold weather game, he thinks the Irish will end the home season on a high note.

"I think we can win. It's going to be a good game," he said.

Junior Tim Castellini said he anticipates a win because the seniors will be excited for their last home game.

"I'm expecting a big win because Connecticut isn't that good and it's the seniors' last home game so there is a lot of hype going into it for them," he said.

Castellini said the team's two recent losses and the controversy over Charlie Weis' position as head coach will not have a negative affect on the game.

"I think they still look at it as just another week to take care of business," he said.

Toole also said he does not think Saturday's game will affect the fate of the team or the coaching staff.

"They've probably already decided [about Weis' job,]" he said. "If they lose, Charlie's gone. But I think he's already gone and Jimmy's foot is already out the door.

"If they lose, it could be a nail in the coffin," he said.

Thode said the atmosphere on campus has been quiet this week.

"I haven't really felt anything yet. I haven't felt as much anticipation as I feel there should be," she said.

Sophomore Kathryn Austin agreed.

"I think campus is sort of disappointed," she said. "But I don't think Notre Dame fans are really known for being fair weather fans so I think the student section will show up."