Yes, true support

I am the co-president of Saint Mary's Right to Life and am working on the campaign to support pregnant women on campus. I worked 45 hours every week this summer in the Bronx for a crisis pregnancy organization called Expectant Mother Care. I have worked with the victims of rape, incest and domestic violence and remember their names and stories. I have personally moved 15-year-old girls out of their houses into maternity homes because their parents refused to support them unless they got an abortion. I have talked with women who have no idea how they will support another mouth to feed or provide shelter for a new life. Our crisis pregnancy centers do provide food, diapers and clothing. Our organization has helped thousands of women over the years find housing in supportive maternity homes, medical care, and other resources necessary to continue a pregnancy, and then to support themselves and their children. And yes, I have worked with women who are haunted by their experience of an abortion. I have witnessed their suffering and, most of all, their need for support. I care deeply for all of the women I worked with this summer and did everything in my power to support them. 

However, I am not alone. The country is filled with other pro-lifers who have dedicated themselves to the task of providing true support to pregnant women. The pro-life movement supports many programs just like the one I worked for in New York City all over the country. In our local area we have the Women's Care Center which helps provide for the physical and emotional needs of pregnant women. Saint Mary's students have dedicated long hours and money to the Mothers' Day Drive which Saint Mary's Right to Life Club runs in March. This Drive helps provide for the material needs of women in crisis pregnancy. However, we do recognize this is not enough, which is why we are seeking to expand support for pregnant women on campus. 

The fact that you have written this Viewpoint ("True support?" Nov. 10) illustrates the fact that we must increase our support and promote awareness of the situation of women in crisis pregnancies. You are right, Jacquitta, women are forced into abortions because they feel they have no support. Let us change this together.

Grace Lape

senior

off campus

Nov. 10