New SUB controller appointed

In its weekly meeting Tuesday, the Council of Representatives discussed a number of pressing campus issues, the first being the appointment of Matt Howard to the position of Chief Controller for the Student Union Board (SUB).

Howard will replace senior Kim Kyrouac, who was accepted early into the Master of Science in Accountancy Program and therefore cannot maintain her SUB position, according to a letter from Kyrouac to the representatives.

"Matt is far and away the best candidate," board manager Kat Burke said. 

Howard, a senior accounting major who has worked for SUB for the past two years, has interned with Pepsi for the past two summers and said his proudest event so far with SUB is the Joshua Radin concert that will be held at Legends next Saturday.

COR approved Howard's appointment in a unanimous 14-0-0 vote.

COR's second item on Tuesday's agenda was discussion of the Wall of Ideas initiatives in the student government office, which displays suggestions and concerns voiced by students.

Student body president Grant Schmidt said one of the main topics on the Wall are comments about University Health Services.

"[Students complain that] Health Services is pushing people in and pushing people out … and not really examining them thoroughly," he said.

Schmidt proposed the implementation of a Health Services advisory board, to which student government would appoint six students to address the concerns students have with Health Services.

"It would be a neat concept because we don't have a medical school and this would be something different for students to get involved in," student body chief of staff Ryan Brethellin said.

The board, Schmidt said, would also address student concerns as to where to seek specialized care like dermatologists.

COR voted in favor of the implementation of such a council 12-1-1.

In other COR news:

Schmidt addressed the issue of handicap accessibility on campus, noting the need for functioning elevator buttons in buildings like Mendoza College of Business and DeBartolo Hall.

"The most tangible thing we'd like to see is more accommodations in the future," he said.
Schmidt also addressed concerns among off-campus students of the need for a guest meal plan to accompany their off-campus meal plan. The guest meal plan, which offers five meals a semester for the discounted price of $6, is currently only available to on-campus students.

Schmidt lastly addressed the new Transpo weekend bus route that will begin this Friday.
The route will run from library circle to South Bend "hot spots" like downtown bars and restaurants.

"It's going to be fairly efficient," Schmidt said. "This weekend will be a learning experience … as it is the first weekend this will be run."

The bus schedule will be posted on the student government Web site.