Four groups request funding for activities

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) received four requests for funding at their meeting Wednesday night. Members from Saint Mary's Affiliates of the American Chemical Society, the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's Irish Dance Team, Psi Chi and Sisters of Nefertiti presented their applications for different student activities that will be taking place this semester.  

The members of Saint Mary's Affiliates of the American Chemical Society, SMAACS, will be traveling to San Francisco for the convention of the American Chemical Society (ACS). Senior Jane Fleming presented the proposal along with three other students. 

"ACS is the largest scientific organization in the country" Fleming said, "The opportunity would provide great experience and networking possibilities for us." 

Three juniors and three seniors will be attending the event and two of the seniors, including Alex Petlick, will be presenting their research at the convention. 

The Notre Dame and Saint Mary's Irish Dance Team plans to send ten girls to the All-Ireland Dance Competition in Killarney, Ireland. Six Saint Mary's students and four Notre Dame Students have entered the competition, which will take place in February. 

SGA was not the first organization to be asked for funding for this trip. The group also received funding from the Notre Dame Irish Studies program and many alumni. 

Carissa Salvador, Saint Mary's senior and president of Student Diversity Board (SDB), represented Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology. Salvador plans to present her senior comprehensive at the thirty-fourth annual woman's studies conference in Wisconsin. Salvador wrote her comprehensive on diversity. 

Salvador told the board she plans to bring back the teaching skills and methods taught at the conference. Salvador said she would be able to use this in her positions with Diverse Students' Leadership Conference (DSLC) and the Council for Multicultural Affairs. 

Marissa Murphy, a senior and treasurer of the Sisters of Nefertiti, presented the club's plan for an event. The event is to take place in honor of Black History Month. The club has invited speakers who will discuss the issues of body image and black history in tandem.