Saint Mary's takes part in book drive

The days of "invented spelling" in Indiana are over, as Sen. Richard Lugar implemented a book drive to benefit local elementary schools.
The second annual book drive is part of a statewide outreach program to increase literacy in local schools through the donation of gently used children's books, for readers ranging from infants to third graders.
Saint Mary's College is one of the locations accepting book donations. Donation boxes are located in the lobby of the Student Center and in LeMans Hall's Reignbeaux Lounge.
"The drive gives my kids and I the incentive to go through the books on our shelves and make a pile of the ones that they have outgrown and can bear to let go," Saint Mary's director of media relations Gwen O'Brien said.
The initiative of the book drive is to help children become more successful academically by gaining a greater proficiency as a young reader.
"Books should be enjoyed again and again," O'Brien said.
Coquillard, Warren and Lincoln Primary Centers are the main beneficiaries of the book drive.
Janet Martin, who originally bought several books for her grandchildren, decided to put her purchases to a better use by donating them to the book drive.
"I decided my grandkids had enough books," Martin said.
Students who benefit from the drive might develop an earlier understanding of words, better pronunciation or a general expression of interest in reading.
"There is nothing compared to the first page of a book and to know you are about to embark on a journey that costs you nothing but time," Martin said.