52nd Annual Grammy Awards Breakdown

The 52nd annual Grammys took place last night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Heading into the night Beyoncé led the nominations with 10 followed by Taylor Swift with eight, and the Black Eyed Peas, Maxwell and Kanye West with six each.
The night began early on the red carpet with a plethora of stars from The Jonas Brothers to Paramour to T-Pain. Justin Bieber jammed to Rock Band while Russell Brand and Katy Perry talked about their recent engagement. Other notable couples that strutted their stuff together included Seal and Heidi Klum, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, and Josh Duhamel and Fergie. But who let in Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino and Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi? Or the guy from "American Idol" who sang "Pants on the Ground?"
As far as fashion is concerned some stars shone, while others disappointed. Katy Perry wore a Zac Posen dress inspired by her recent trip to India, but it was a bit lackluster. Lady Gaga did not hesitate to wear something outrageous, and turned up in a white Armani dress that was reminiscent of a piece of modern artwork. Black Eyed Peas' member Taboo wore a horrible space-suit outfit, but Fergie's tight, bright blue mini dress was beautiful and made up for his failure.
Travis Barker of Blink-182 fame did not even bother to dress up, but his son was an adorable accessory. Keri Hilson was stunning in a beige Dolce and Gabbana number with a beautiful jeweled waistband. Artists from her label Iyaz and Jason DeRulo escorted "American Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi. She looked great, but DeRulo did not even care to tuck in his shirt. Jennifer Hudson rocked some outrageous bangs, while the newly engaged Carrie Underwood looked beautiful even if her white gown had an odd geometric pattern.
Carey Hart and P!ink made a handsome couple, as the usually casual Hart dressed up in a great suit. She wore an absolutely stunning sparkling mermaid cut dress with a folded detailed bust. The multi-colored bottom added to a rocker edge to a classy dress.
Kidman wore a long, elegant black Prada gown. Both Swift and Beyoncé looked gorgeous in tight, form-fitting numbers. The former being a deep blue, and the latter a shade of  beige. Ke$ha failed to impress in a costume-like dress complete with fringe and over the top makeup. And Imogen Heap accessorized her already strange dress with an umbrella.
"Glee's" Lea Michele sported a one shoulder ruched black short dress that was a last minute decision after a fashion snafu. She was planning on wearing a white gown that she discovered last minute was see through. Rihanna's white dress was more successful, with oversized pockets, a feathered high neck collar, and open back.
Overall, the pattern of the evening seemed to be nude colored dresses. Ashanti, Klum, Beyoncé and Hilson all sported flesh-toned gowns.
The Grammys did not have a host this year, but perhaps Stephen Colbert should have received the job after opening the show with many laughs. He brought his daughter along to assess his coolness, made fun of Adam Lambert and even showed off his new iPad. Colbert later earned a Grammy for Best Comedy Album.
The Grammys were full of performances in which artists pulled out all the stops. Lady Gaga kicked off the night with help from Elton John, back up dancers, and a piano with arms jetting out of the top.
Green Day, who would later win Best Rock Album, also performed with cast of the new Broadway musical "American Idiot" inspired by their music. This will likely help promote the show, as the cast was fantastic.
Beyoncé performed in a fierce black outfit with SWAT team members dressed up as her back up dancers. Her song of choice was "If I were a Boy" with a hint of Alanis Morrisette's old hit "You Oughta Know." P!nk then performed in an odd outfit, in which her hooded silver robe eventually revealed a nude-colored bodysuit to which she hung from the air to perform aerial ballet.   
The Black Eyed Peas started their performance with the fourth single of their latest record, "Imma Be" which eventually transitioned into their hit "I Gotta Feeling." The song won them Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals.  Fergie sported a visor, and the group was backed up with robot dancers clad in all silver. Fans had previously sent in videos and pictures that flashed across screen in the background. The performance appeared to be a crowd pleaser. The group also won Pop Vocal Album.
Recently crowned Best New Artist winner Zac Brown Band took the stage to perform with legend Leon Russell.
Swift first performed her latest single "Today Was A Fairytale" from the upcoming film "Valentine's Day" in which she costars. She was joined onstage by one of her childhood favorites Stevie Nicks. The duo sang two songs together including a remixed version of "You Belong With Me".
One of the gimmicks of the evening was that fans could vote to choose what song Bon Jovi would perform. Choices were "It's My Life," "Livin' On A Prayer," and "Always." It was Bon Jovi's first ever Grammy performance and after performing two other songs, the viewers chose "Livin' On A Prayer."
Lionel Richie presented the Michael Jackson 3-D Tribute in which Celine Dion, Hudson, Smokey Robinson, Underwood and Usher performed in conjunction with a recording of Jackson's "Earth Song." The crowd wore 3-D glasses to fully enjoy the performance. Then, Prince and Paris Jackson accompanied by their cousins accepted an award on behalf of their father.
Mary J. Blige and Andrea Bocelli also performed a powerful duet in honor of Haiti. The two sang beautifully together, with Bocelli integrating Italian into the piece.
Drake, Eminem and Lil Wayne performed together with Barker on drums. In the Rap arena, Eminem received two Grammys for Rap Album, and Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for his collaboration "Crack a Bottle," with Dr. Dre and 50 Cent.
Lady Antebellum, (winner of Country Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals) Jamie Foxx with T-Pain (winner of R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals), and Dave Matthews Band, and Maxwell (winner of Male R&B Vocal Performance and R&B Album) also performed.
The queen of nominations Beyoncé was off to a great start when the show began and she won Song of the Year for "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It). She would also win Female R&B Vocal Performance and R&B Song for the same song, Female Pop Vocal Performance for "Halo," Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for "At Last", and Contemporary R&B Album. In the end, she took home six trophies.
And the princess of nominations, Swift picked up a Grammy for Best Country Album. She also received Female Country Vocal Performance and Country Song for her single "White Horse." Swift also won the arguably most prestige Grammy of the night Album of the Year for Fearless. In her speeches Swift thanked her recording label for letting her write all her songs, and her family especially her brother and parents.
Best Record of the Year went to Kings of Leon for their song "Use Somebody." Rap/Sung Collaboration went to Jay-Z, Rihanna and West for "Run This Town." Jay-Z also won Rap Solo Performance. Male Pop Vocal went to Jason Mraz. The eclectic Lady Gaga won Dance Recording for "Poker Face," and Electronic/Dance Album for The Fame.
For a complete list of winners visit GRAMMY.com