Bad Romance Takes the Stage

The pink and red posters on the bulletin boards around campus indicate that it's that time of year again for the dancers of Notre Dame to come together for the largest dance show on campus.
DanceFest, sponsored by Welsh Family Hall, features dancers that represent each of the dance performing groups on campus in one all-encompassing ensemble.
The performers have been preparing since last semester for the program, titled "Bad Romance," which will take place this Friday and Saturday, February 5 and 6 at 7 p.m. From elegant ballet folklorico to toe-tapping swing dancing to percussive stepping, the show offers something for everyone and gives viewers a taste of many different genres of dance.  
Performers from nearly ten different groups give new meaning to community service as they will dance for a cause on the Washington Hall main stage to raise money for a local charity. Money made from ticket sales (tickets will be sold at the door for $5) will go directly to the Robinson Community Learning Center, which fosters relationship building and education among South Bend's youth. The dance festival supports the community center's arts program by donating money to the RCLC's Shakespeare Company, which allows students to study Shakespeare's famous works.
"Bad Romance" features routines from the Notre Dame Dance Company, Notre Dame Pom Squad, Ballet Folklorico, Troop ND, Irish Dance Team, Ballroom Dance Club, ND Swing Club, First Class Steppers and the DanceFest Dancers. Each of the groups has been preparing since last semester for this two-night extravaganza of artistic movement.  
Students who are not members of one of Notre Dame's many dance groups still have a chance to perform in this show as one of the DanceFest Dancers. These girls auditioned early in the fall semester for a spot in a variety of student-choreographed routines, including ballet, tap, hip-hop, lyrical, modern and jazz. These dancers from Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College trekked through harsh weather conditions to attend rehearsals at least once a week for each of their routines, and have been putting in extra hours this week to give their audience a fantastic show. After the long hours and tiring rehearsals, their hard work is sure to show when they step onstage this weekend.  
The dancers look forward to DanceFest from the start of the school year not only because they enjoy being on stage to show off their talents, but because it brings out a different side of their personalities.
Sophomore Kathleen Riojas, one of the featured DanceFest Dancers said the event gives her a chance to express herself.
"I do this because it's a different side of me. It's like an alter ego:  normal student by day, dancer by night," she said. "I enjoy working with other people that strive to be the best dancer possible simply because it's a passion. You can really see that when we get on stage."
DanceFest gives student dancers a chance to show off their talents, and is expected to be an entertaining show for all involved. No matter what type of dance tickles your fancy, DanceFest has something for everyone — good music and energetic moves.