Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Bengal Bouts: Semifinals, 180 pounds

Mike Doran def. Giacomo "Il Capo" Minafra
Doran and Minafra began tentatively, with few punches thrown. The first round was marked by many dodges from each fighter, leading to many missed punches. The end of the round was back-and-forth with combinations from each fighter, with the junior Doran landing the last before the bell.

The sophomore Minafra attacked Doran aggressively at the beginning of the second round. As the round progressed Doran became more aggressive while Minafra picked his opportunities; at one point, Doran caught Minafra off balance and knocked Minafra to the mat.

The third round was opened by punches from Doran, who forced Minafra into a defensive strategy. Doran parlayed his momentum from the second-round knockdown into a unanimous decision victory.

Dominic "Warsaw War Hammer" Golab def. Nicholas "It's-a ME-a" Ponzio

Senior captain Ponzio came out and tried to be the aggressor right away, but the balanced junior Golab would not let it happen. Golab had a decided advantage in height and reach and used it to his benefit well. When Ponzio wanted to get in on him and go to the body, Golab fired back with a quick counter, or eluded his attacks and make attempts of his own. Ponzio landed a good amount of shots to both the body and head, but Golab absorbed everything thrown at him with grace and made sure he was always in control. By maintaining a constantly balanced, efficient approach that never put him in a vulnerable position, Golab outlasted Ponzio and eventually claimed the unanimous decision to advance to the final.