Concern for human dignity lacking in porn panel

As club leaders of the Identity Project of Notre Dame (idND), we would like to address the GRC's recent pornography panel and viewing of "The Price of Pleasure," which our club sponsored along with the Theology Department. In our interactions with the GRC prior to the event, we had good reason to believe that this event would foster lively discussion about this widespread violation of human dignity, presenting theological, Natural Law and feminist arguments in opposition to prevalent cultural acceptance of pornography. Unfortunately, in retrospect, this event failed to present these perspectives and address the issue of pornography appropriately (particularly due to the extremely graphic nature of the film).

Rather than dwell on this serious misunderstanding, we would like to take this opportunity to invite you to the fifth annual Edith Stein Project ("No Man is an Island: Creature, Culture, and Community"), held this coming weekend (Feb. 12-13) in McKenna Hall. This student-organized conference offers a variety of perspectives informed by the Catholic tradition on issues of gender, sexuality and authentic personhood (the full schedule is available at http://www.nd.edu/~idnd/edithstein/schedule10.html). All are welcome.

Katie Heinzen
junior
Welsh Fam
Claire Gillen
sophomore
Welsh Fam
Feb. 9