Freshman's GoodMusicAllDay.com Emerging as Internet Hit

For young entrepreneur and Notre Dame freshman Tim Weber, music is more than just a passion or a hobby.
"I absolutely love music. I believe that college students listen to the best music." Weber, a resident of Knott Hall, has turned this personal credo into a rapidly growing website called GoodMusicAllDay.com geared toward the musical interests of young adults.
Hailing from Wilmington, Delaware, Weber has always gravitated towards a musical calling. Formerly a guitarist and vocalist, he began doubting his ability to advance as a performer. The trajectory of his passion thus shifted from performance to sharing. More recently, Weber developed an inclination toward producing music of various genres such as hip-hop and alternative. Weber's exploration of the production side of music led to the genesis of his website.
GoodMusicAllDay's mission is simple: to publicize and share the music that interests college students. The site's interface closely resembles a blog, with daily entries featuring artist descriptions, videos, links, and published opinions. For music savvy fans, the site may resemble other music advocacy websites such as nahright.com, aurgasm.us, and even Kanye West's official blog. The distinction, of course, is a focus towards collegiate interests.
As founders and operators of the website, Weber and fellow Notre Dame freshman Tim Ryan of Siegfried, were careful to consult Notre Dame's Office of Informational Technologies' rules, as well as copyright laws, when developing the site to ensure that all content on the site is legal. GoodMusicAllDay does not allow peer-to-peer sharing. However, all content may be previewed and even downloaded free of charge. Downloaded music is iPod ready immediately upon completion.
GoodMusicAllDay.com officially launched on December 1, a little more than a month after its conception in late October. Originally restricted to the Notre Dame community, the site has expanded largely without advertisement. Word of mouth exported the news of the website beyond the Notre Dame bubble, and now GoodMusicAllDay.com boasts roughly 1,000 views a day.
The website's popularity was also boosted by exclusive interviews with emerging artists, and later, the sponsorships of various mixtapes submitted expressly by musicians. GoodMusicAllDay.com has been officially recognized by the likes of Chip Tha Ripper, the Incomparable Shakespeare, DJ Trackstar, and even Kid Cudi.
Though Weber claims a wide variety of musical interests, he admits that country music and metal are turnoffs. A distinct hip-hop flavor is palpable in the entries of the website. Visitors of GoodMusicAllDay will encounter plenty of underground rappers, DJ's, and some indie and jam bands. Weber collects submissions from up-and-coming artists as well as fan submissions. Though each submission is reviewed and rated, Weber contends that irtually all suggestions submitted to the site are posted, provided that the music is worthy of the attention and praise of college students.
Weber boasts that his website's most appealing feature is its recently completed list of 2009 top fives. Visit this section of GoodMusicAllDay to hear the top five mash-ups, covers, beats, and more from last year. Like all other submissions, each track may be previewed and downloaded.
Though GoodMusicAllDay is still in its infantile stages, Weber has high hopes for the site and his own career. He is optimistic that the website will continue to receive more views and submissions. In fact, GoodMusicAllDay is scheduled to drop its first official mixtape on March 1 of this year. The mixtape, which will feature exclusive tracks available only through GoodMusicAllDay, is expected to feature seven to eight artists and roughly fifteen tracks.
As for his own career, Weber says that his dream is to become the CEO of a major record label. Certainly he is on the right path with his unwavering love of music and attention to new and exciting trends. However, given the swift success of GoodMusicAllDay, he may soon find his hands full with the requests and attention of a quickly growing fan base.