Men's Tennis: ND loses one-point match

The Irish dropped a tough match Saturday against No. 25 Washington by a score of 4-3.

The Huskies were the seventh ranked team the Irish have faced in eight dual matches this season. It was the fourth match this season decided by a one-point margin.

"Our match with Washington was a disappointment in that we had hoped we were capable of going out there and winning," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. "We got strong efforts from Dan Stahl, David Anderson and Sam Keeton in their singles wins, but fell short in the other three. Our best chance to win came at No. 2 singles as Stephen Havens lost a tie-breaker to drop the first set and lost some momentum after that."

The Irish fell behind early after being swept in doubles.

Junior Tyler Davis and sophomore Casey Watt teamed up at No. 1 doubles for the Irish and fell by a score of 8-1 to Kyle McMorrow and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan.

Junior Stephen Havens and sophomore Niall Fitzgerald fell at No. 2 doubles for the Irish 8-4 to Derek Drabble and Martin Kildahl, while juniors David Anderson and Dan Stahl fell at No. 3 doubles by a score of 8-3.

"The disappointment for me has been our doubles play of late," Bayliss said. "We started the season strongly there, but have not been very effective recently. We are really going to look at our combinations this week to see if some adjustments are necessary."

No. 51 Nedunchezhiyan was able to defeat Watt at No. 1 singles to give Washington a 2-0 lead early in the match.

No. 101 Stahl was able to cut the lead in half with a win over Drabble at No. 3 singles.

No. 105 Irish freshman Blas Moros was defeated at No. 5 singles by Tobi Obeanus by a score of 6-3, 6-3 to pull Washington within a win on any court to clinch the match.

The winning point came from McMorrow for Washington as he won over No. 123 Havens at No. 2 singles 7-6 (2), 6-3.

Anderson came through after the match was decided at No. 4 singles to improve his record to 4-1 in dual matches this season for the Irish.

"David Anderson has come on strong for us as the season has progressed," Bayliss said. "He has added good all court skills and can finish at the net, something that was problematic for him as a freshman. He has a big first serve, penetrating ground strokes and counters better than he did even a year ago. More than anything he has a real presence on the court and great determination."

Sophomore Sam Keeton clinched another win for the Irish at No. 6 singles over Alex Rosinski in three sets to give the Irish their third victory on the day.

The Irish will return home this weekend to host three matches at the Eck Tennis Pavilion, beginning with Michigan State Saturday at 3 p.m.  The Irish will then host a doubleheader Sunday against Wisconsin and Toledo.