Thank You

I would like to begin my term as Editor-in-Chief today by thanking those who make The Observer's publication possible.

That starts with you, our readers. Thank you for holding us to the high journalistic standards to which we aspire, and thank you for pointing out our mistakes and for praising our successes.

We truly enjoy hearing from you and sincerely appreciate your constructive feedback. I look forward to making some improvements, especially on our Web site, that should make your experiences with The Observer more valuable and enjoyable.

To our outgoing senior Editorial Board members, thank you for showing me how to handle computer glitches, tight deadlines and tough decisions with integrity, professionalism and class.

And thank you for having the faith and confidence in me to lead the newspaper.

Regardless of what you say in the office at 3 a.m., I know you all care for me deeply.

To our dedicated, talented staff, thank you for all your continued hard work. I look forward to working with you over the next year as we build upon The Observer's strong tradition.

Thank you for your ambition, energy and willingness to blast Taylor Swift in the office — all three help to keep us going.

It would be both cliché and misleading to say we all enjoy every single minute we spend at The Observer. When you work in a windowless office in the basement of South Dining Hall from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. once a week, there are going to be moments when you wonder just what you got yourself into.

But the truth is, I know why I do it.

Working for The Observer has shaped my Notre Dame experience by challenging me to become not only a better writer and reporter, but also a better student, teammate, communicator and leader. Being a part of a staff of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's students with an incredible range of talents, interests and personalities has refined my talents, expanded my interests and stretched my personality. And covering major campus stories and events has given me a perspective and a voice most students aren't as fortunate to have.

I have never quite understood why senior editors say they still get a rush watching their classmates pick up The Observer every morning.

But as I power-walked my way across campus Friday morning, late for a meeting on three hours of sleep after my first night overseeing the paper's entire production, I finally understood.

There's no helpless feeling quite like being alone in the office at 4 a.m., staring at an outdated, uncooperative computer that is the last thing standing between you and a queen-sized bed.

But there's also no feeling of pride, accomplishment and relief like waking up and seeing the paper circulating around campus every Monday through Friday.

That's why we do what we do. Thanks. for making it possible.