Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: "Prospero's Books" @ 7 p.m., DPAC
"Prospero's Books" is the first in a series of films by Welsh director Peter Greenaway that the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center plans to show this weekend. Based off of Shakespeare's "The Tempest," "Prospero's Books" is a visual masterpiece that utilizes many innovative cinematic techniques to tell the story from a unique perspective. The film combines mime, dance, opera and animation as well as digital image manipulation. The film was shown out of competition at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival, meaning it did not compete for a main prize. Look for several other works by Peter Greenaway at DPAC throughout the weekend.

Friday: The Tossers @ 10 p.m., Legends
The Tossers, a six piece Celtic punk band from Chicago, will be performing at Legends this Friday night. They have been active since the early 90s, predating such bands as the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, but have only recently begun to gain notice from more mainstream audiences. They released their most recent album, "On a Fine Spring Evening," in October 2008. Their sound has been described as bordering between "rage and raucousness," blending traditional Irish sound and punk rock, so the show is certain to be a high-energy performance. As always, there is no cover for this show.

Saturday: "The Road" @ 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., DeBartolo 101
Actor Viggo Mortensen's latest project follows the journey of a father and son walking across the country in search of refuge from the extreme conditions produced by an apocalyptic event. They are walking south in hopes of escaping the extreme cold and desperation the cataclysm has left in its wake. The father often recalls his wife, who committed suicide before the horrific event, and finds that the boy is the only thing that keeps him going. A dark film, it is certain to make audiences consider the meaning and purpose of life. Tickets are $3 at the door.

Sunday: "Natural Selection" @ 2:30 p.m., DPAC
This is the last day to catch "Natural Selection," the comedy by Eric Coble which explores just how crazy the world will be in the near future if humanity continues to be heavily reliant on technology. The production centers on Henry Carson, a curator at the Cultural Fiesta Theme Park, who searches the country in order to find new Native Americans for their Native American Pavilion. He is quickly faced with the difficulty of defining ‘native' and in the process discovers the artificial nature of the world in which he lives. Tickets for this production are $15 for general admission, $12 for faculty, staff and seniors, and $10 for students.