Words of wisdom

Thank you, Ms. Quiros ("Is Father John Listening," Feb. 17) for pointing out that building and food services are not a gold mine. You are right on track that it is not a self-sufficient job, but allow me to explain a few things about life that you may have missed.
1.) It is hard. Without proper education or opportunity, you are going to have a tougher time than others. Fact.
2.) Most people aren't alone. There is often a spouse or family helping in the background when times get tough.
3.) Working hard is the only way to get ahead. Yes, $9 seems not that great, but if you work hard and long, you can make a decent living. There are opportunities for advancement at any level of employment, and bosses know a valuable worker when they see one. I guarantee you that the ones that have been here for more than a decade make a bit more than $9.
4.) You are not limited to one job. Shift-based jobs like the ones you describe are designed so you can take on more than one job per day. Yes, you work harder, see No. 3, but "you gotta do what you gotta do." If you hate your job, quit. This is a free society.
5.) No one wants to make near-minimum wage their whole life, nor will they be forced to. Jobs like these are just stepping stones to better opportunities. Night school and community college are viable ways to further your personal skills set. Getting ahead is about taking on personal sacrifice. It is not about getting a handout from this university. If we had a right to live at a certain level, when are we going to start donating all our paychecks to the third world?
6.) Some people actually like what they do and feel they are doing it at a fair wage. More is always better, but being content is something to be treasured. It is very pretentious to think you know what is best for others.
To University workers: Thank you for doing your job day in and day out. It is much appreciated even though it is rarely voiced.

Mark Easley
sophomore
Keenan Hall
Feb. 17