Belles prepare for trip to Orlando to train

After only three matches, the Belles will take their annual spring trip to Orlando, Fla., March 6-13. The trip will allow the team to work on several aspects of their game that have been a focus during training.

"We have been working really hard to improve our doubles and also improve our conditioning going into the trip," Belles coach Dale Campbell said.

The weeklong trip will test the Belles' (2-1) mettle and training. Over six days, the Belles will face Ursinus, Carthage, Wesleyan, Wartburg, St. Francis and Wheaton.

"We will be playing six matches in six days which should challenge us physically," Campbell said.

Although the season is young, Campbell said he has already noticed some improvements in his players, such as maturity on the court, better concentration and adjusting games in the middle of matches.

Despite the progress made in the short period of time, Campbell said more improvements must be made as the team looks to continually advance its game heading into MIAA conference play.

"We still need to get stronger to face the top teams in our conference," Campbell said. "Our doubles has to get more aggressive and have a stronger presence, as well as make our opponents react to us."

The trip will give the Belles an opportunity to get some much-needed experience against non-conference competition similar to that which they will face in league play.
Nonetheless, the spring trip is invaluable in preparing the team for tougher stretches ahead.

In terms of expectations, Campbell said he just wants to see his players get better.

"My expectations are to improve and have the most effort possible," Campbell said. "The wins will come but we have to get better, improve our doubles teamwork and continue to play a higher level offensively in singles."

The trip offers the Belles a chance to work on their short-term goals.

"We want to improve our footwork, selection and placement of shots at all times, and continue to believe in our ability to play at a higher level," Campbell said. "We have the talent to be able to do that."