Figure skating fashion at the Olympics: the elegant, the sparkly and the feathery

The 2010 Winter Olympics figure skating competition showcased amazing athletic artistry, but along with triple toe-loops come the costumes. They ranged from blandly tasteful to perfectly ludicrous. Here's a small sample of the standout outfits from the men's, women's, pairs and ice dancing competitions.

Evan Lysacek (above)
USA
Men's short program
The gold medalist's outfits were designed by Vera Wang (who was also a competitive skater when she was young). If Lysacek had ditched Wang's feathers, the all-black effect would have been magnetic – as is, it's just silly and distracted from his routine.

Evgeni Plushenko
Russia
Men's freestyle program
The silver medalist turned in a clunky routine, then whined that he didn't get the gold. Good thing he makes up for his bad attitude with a Lite Brite tuxedo.

Joannie Rochette
Canada
Women's freestyle program
Rochette won the bronze just days after her mother died, and her emotion was visible in all her routines. She moved into the top three with this sophisticated Princess Jasmine number.

Sinead Kerr and John Kerr
England
Ice dancing, folk program
The British must think Britney Spears and Toby Keith count as "folk music."

Kevin van der Perren
Belguim
Men's short program

Van der Perren must be going for the "crypt keeper on ice" look but forgot pelvic bones and about four ribs.

Johnny Weir
USA
Men's short program
Unlike most of the men's half-heartedly tacky costumes, Weir really committed to wearing outrageous outfits. This one was a winner, with a flashy pink corset and shoulder tassel.

Cheltzie Lee
Australia
Women's short program
Both of Lee's outfits had lovely color and just enough sparkles. She brings to mind the elegant but sporty looks of Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan.

Oksana Domnina
and Maxim Shabal
Russia
Ice dancing folk program
Domnina and Shabal performed a routine based on the dances of the Aboriginal peoples in Australia by wearing brown-face illusion netting and fabric leaves (and these are the toned-down costumes). They took cultural insensitivity to whole new level, considering they were competing against skaters actually from Australia.

Miki Ando
Japan
Women's short program
What's with the giant cross on her chest? If the rest of the costume didn't already look like Dracula's bride, I'd say she had it to ward off vampires.

Xue Zhao and Hungbo Shen
China
Pairs short program
This married couple — and eventual gold medalists — definitely brought their romance into their routine with these lovely costumes.