ND Women's Golf: Irish grab 11th place in Texas tournament

This weekend, the Irish traveled to Austin, Texas for the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational, where they took 11th place out of the 17 teams competing.

The windy Texas course made for a series of difficult matches, but that did not stop them from advancing in the rankings.

"This weekend was a bit of a disappointment for our team," junior Katie Conway said. "We have really built up our schedule strength from our improvement in the rankings, and although we beat three teams ranked ahead of us, we all felt as though our games could have been better."

Senior Annie Brophy paved the path for the team, finishing 26th in the final round overall out of 90 golfers with 229 points, 13 over the par.

Brophy ended the third and final round with 77 points, five above par, with 12 holes at par and one birdie on the last hole.

The first day of the tournament began with Brophy and junior So-Hyun Park tied for 12th place individually with a score of 74, only two over par. This finish beat Brophy's score of last year and Park's this season. Park went on to finished tied for 43rd with an overall score of 234, 18 above par. She had difficulty finding consistency as the weekend went on, having seven bogeys and two double birdies in the final round, but she managed to come back with one birdie.

Sophomore Becca Huffer followed closely behind Brophy, tying for 29th place overall with 230 points, 14 over par. She ended the weekend on a high note, scoring 76 on Sunday after 77 both of the previous days after struggling the first day, when she sat tied for 41st at five over par.

Conway concluded the team score, finishing tied for 73rd with a total score of 242, six above par.

"As a team, we feel as though our games are close to peaking and this is the time of year where that feeling is important. We are definitely looking forward to a strong finish in Florida," Conway said.

The Irish take a week off before they travel to Gainesville, Fla., for the Sun Trust Lady Gator on April 10 and 11.