ND Women's Golf: ND finishes ahead of two top-25 opponents

Notre Dame continued to improve its game at the LSU Tiger/Wave Classic at English Turn Golf and Country Club in Louisiana over the weekend.  The Irish finished 13th in a field that included many of the country's most elite programs, including tournament winner No. 3 Auburn.

The team's performance is certain to help in the rankings as they came out ahead of No. 4 Purdue and No. 21 Louisville.

"We're coming along," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "We've certainly got some talent and we've had some good individual performances."

The Irish shot a 310 in the opening round and followed it up with a 314 and 300 respectively on each of the two following days. Sophomore Becca Huffer led the Irish, shooting 224 total for a 15th-place finish.

Senior Annie Brophy showed improvement throughout the tournament, leading the team with an even-par 72 performance on the final day of competition.

The Irish have taken advantage of the recent mild weather in South Bend by holding their first outdoor practice of the year Tuesday. With two tournaments remaining before postseason play, the players will look to sharpen their skills with more routine practice.
Notre Dame next takes to the course for the Betsy Rawls Invitational in Austin, Texas on March 26.

"A lot of top-25 teams will be there, we'll be in a good position to get some quality wins," Holt said.