ND Women's Tennis: Duos carry ND to two victories

An undefeated doubles record carried No. 3 Notre Dame to victories over both TCU and Wichita State this weekend in Wichita, Kan.

"This was the most enthusiasm I have seen in our girls in a while," Irish coach Jay Louderback said. "We had been working on getting the girls to play with a little more passion, and that's exactly what we got from them."

Saturday, Notre Dame (15-2) shut out the Horned Frogs 7-0 as bad weather forced the two teams to play inside.

The Irish took an early lead by winning the doubles point. The new arrangement of teams Louderback decided to play this weekend proved to be a beneficial set-up.  The fourth-ranked duo of senior Kali Krisik and sophomore Kristy Frilling won 7-4, and in their first time playing together, sophomore Shannon Mathews and senior Cosmina Ciobanu clinched the point for the Irish. TCU forfeited in both the third doubles and sixth singles positions, as each of the Irish singles players won their matches as well.

The Irish then defeated the Shockers, 6-1, on Sunday.

Notre Dame made its return to outside play, but the harsh conditions yielded to a tough environment on the outdoor courts.

"It as a little cool and windy," Louderback said. "However, it was great to play outside against the elements."

Frilling and Krisik were able to pull off their 13th consecutive win, boasting a perfect season for the pair.

Ciobanu and Mathews sealed the doubles point, and freshman Chrissie McGaffigan and junior Kristen Rafael earned a third doubles victory for the Irish.

In singles play, Frilling, McGaffigan, Ciobanu, Rafael and Krisik each beat their opponents for the six total points that Notre Dame won. The Shockers received one point as No. 34 Lutfiana Budiharto defeated No. 108 Mathews in a three-set contest.

The Irish will spend the week preparing for their last road matches of the season against Baylor and Texas A&M on April 3 and April 5, respectively.