One Book, One Michiana

Although we often forget it, as students of Notre Dame we are also members of the South Bend population. If you want to break out of the "Notre Dame bubble" in an easy and fun way, consider participating in the One Book, One Michiana campaign.

The St. Joseph County Public Library is sponsoring this annual campaign, which creates a series of events that build community feeling by asking the entire Michiana population to read a book, or watch a movie adaptation of that book. This year, the book is the classic novel by Harper Lee, "To Kill A Mockingbird."

Various events related to the novel will be held during the last week of April and first week of May. Some events include a courtroom re-enaction of a scene from the book, a reading of the novel by the director of the movie, and a creative writing contest for grade school children sponsored by the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore.

On behalf of Literacy Awareness Notre Dame (LAND), an on-campus club that promotes literacy through awareness campaigns and volunteerism, and on behalf of LAND's contacts at the St. Joseph Public Library, I urge you to consider participating in some of these exciting events. After all, who doesn't love "To Kill a Mockingbird?"

If you would like more information, please refer to the St. Joseph Public Library website.

Caitlin Wilson
Rachel Hamilton
sophomores
Lewis Hall
March 29