Scene grades this spring's movie trailers

Iron Man 2 - 4 shamrocks

The trailer for 'Iron Man 2' did actually earn its shamrocks. In two and a half minutes this trailer achieved everything a trailer for a sequel can hope for. It simultaneously showed us the parts from the first movie that we loved, Robert Downey, Jr's masterful portrayal of Tony Stark, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) in all her glory, as well as clever writing and amazing effects. But it also  promised new thrills and a fresher (still got badguys that need beating) storyline with amazing actors in Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johannson and Don Chedel.  Black Sabbath's ripping guitar as a backdrop and the sheer awesomeness of the shots is more than enough to get you pumped for this sequel.

May 7, 2010

The Killers - 2 shamrocks

Parents and their single 30-year-old daughter show up to a hotel. Hot guy greets girl as she leaves the elevator. They fall madly in love, then it becomes evident that he's on the run from hit men and she must join him on his crazy quest for freedom. Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher star in what promises to be an entertaining summer flick, but the trailer doesn't garner this movie a "must-see" label. There's plenty of action, pretty shots of Heigl and full-on views of Kutcher's abs (which earned this trailer a shamrock in and of itself), but the only motor propelling this two-minute clip along is the star power of its two good-looking leads. 

June 4, 2010

Tron Legacy - 3 shamrocks

When 28 years pass between a movie and its sequel, there had better be an extremely good reason for the second installment. The "Tron Legacy" trailer smolders for almost a minute and a half before presenting its argument. After a meager backstory, the stereotypical teenage protagonist with an absent father figure is pulled into the computer and the audience follows closely. Epic music, tense but unrushed cuts and the awesome special effects finally show a beautifully realized computer world. It's everything the original promised. In its final seconds, the steely gaze of an Oscar-winning Jeff Bridges beckons you into the Tron world.  

December 15, 2010

Eclipse - 1.5 shamrocks

Apparently Summit Entertainment is re-releasing last fall's "The Twilight Saga: New Moon." This trailer has all the hallmarks from November's blockbuster: moody music, swirling clouds, Pacific Northwest scenery, Robert Pattinson's earnest declarations of love, Kristen Stewart's eyebrow acting and gratuitous shots of Taylor Lautner's abs. But the title card at the end says it's "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse." What? It's like the people behind this trailer aren't even bothering to be creative anymore, since they know people will still flock to the theaters anyway.

June 30, 2010

Beastly - 2 shamrocks

This trailer for this reimagining of "Beauty and the Beast" starts off creepy and visually stunning, not to mention Mary-Kate Olsen in some Goth get-ups. The makeup for the "Beast" himself is an intriguing design which looks like a cross between a Neo-Nazi and a bad case of acne — truly ghastly. But the main character's cursed skin condition must have led these trailer editors to model the preview on a ProActiv ad. About a minute in, it takes a turn for infomercial territory, halting the suspense and drama for an awkward string of micro-interviews with the cast and director.

July 30, 2010

Kick-Ass - 4 shamrocks

The trailer for new action movie "Kick-Ass" has all the makings of a great preview — plenty of action scenes, a little romance and a lot of hilarious dialogue. (It also stars Nicholas Cage and Christopher "McLovin" Mintz-Plasser.) The movie about a group of everyday folks who turn vigilante by night is based off a popular comic of the same name. From the looks of the trailer, the film has kept the spirit of the comic alive. It is fast-moving but leaves plenty of time for a little character development and a lot of one-liners. It's basically the perfect draw for a bizarre movie that looks totally awesome.

April 16, 2010

Clash of the Titans - 4 shamrocks

Every action movie cliché? Check. Special effects? Check.  Greco-Roman mythology reference? Check.  Extremely attractive male lead showcasing a short, Roman centurion-like uniform? Check plus.  Liam Neeson as a god? Check. The shot of Liam Neeson in all his god-like glory declaring, "Release the Kraken!" is alone enough to warrant this trailer at least three shamrocks. Combined with Sam Worthington, the Kraken and an epic clash of divinities, the trailer sends a shiver down the spine of its viewers and has them ready to purchase their ticket for the movie in 3-D.

April 2, 2010