Jordan Gamble | Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Ah, its that time of year again. AnTostal organizers are flinging free food left and right outside DeBart, the Blue-Gold Game is modestly mundane and procrastination reigns supreme in the heights of the Hesburgh Library.
My essay writing breaks consist of compulsively clicking on my extensive list of bookmarked blogs. These glorious little nuggets are shelved in the folder fittingly entitled “Trash,” as if by labeling it that I can make myself not waste time.
1. Jezebel.com — Home to celebrity fashion analysis, Saturday Night Live recaps and a snarky, feminist take on the news, this blog is my continually-updated procrastination crack. The links to news sites can get me branching off into a web of time-wasting, but the photo galleries of red carpet fashion are the place to be when I need a truly mindless respite from American Studies essays.
2. ThingsNotreDameStudentsLike.com — Now up to No. 81 (“Talking About Being Godparents”), this blog by Notre Dame alum and Observer Viewpoint columnist Bob Kessler is great for those who like their distraction to be full of inside jokes. My favorites are “No. 2: Complaining About The Shirt and Then Wearing It” and “No. 29 Telling People When They Have an Organic Chemistry Exam.” Kessler updates about every week or so, which is very considerate of him, since it keeps me from devoting too much time to the site.
3. HerLoyalSons.com — One of the better maintained and coherent Notre Dame football blogs, Her Loyal Sons is run by six Notre Dame football fanatics (at least one is a former Dillon resident). They dutifully criticize USC, Michigan and Urban Meyer. Sometimes they even take a time out to praise Luke Harangody. What I really appreciate about Her Loyal Sons is that they often support their claims with substantive evidence in the form of nifty stats graphics. Posts tend to thin out after football season, but with the arrival of Brian Kelly last year, the content has been pretty robust.
4. Movies in 15 Minutes (http://community.livejournal.com/m15m/) — Prolific blogger Cleolinda Jones cranks out these hilarious takes on popular movies. The spoofs of movies like “Harry Potter,” “Phantom of the Opera” and “Clash of the Titans” come in script form, with Cleolinda parodying bad dialogue and shoddy plot holes. Sometimes the results are so hilarious I have to stifle laughter for fear of alarming other people on my floor of the Library.
5. GodHatesProtesters.wordpress.com — In the spirit of People of Walmart and FailBlog, this photo blog chronicles misspelled signs and the people who hold them. My favorites are the photobombs and parodies, especially one sign with the Canadian flag that reads “God hates America: 3-2,” in reference to the American Olympic hockey team’s defeat.