Group discusses plans for 2010 football pep rally

Student Senate passed one resolution and discussed the new 2010 football pep rally format during its meeting Wednesday night.

The resolution states: "All commissioners shall be chosen by May 1 of the term they serve in their respective organizations."

Sophomore Paige Becker, chairman of the Oversight Committee, said the resolution is not actually changing the current format of the selection of student union ethics commissioners but is proposing to instill the current practice as an official amendment in the constitution. The resolution passed unanimously.

Student body vice president  Andrew Bell explained the changes in the pep rally format for the coming fall.

"We're excited about this, but we know there are some issues," Bell said. "We only planned through the first three home games and Boston College so we can see how each venue works … and then go from there."

Agreeing that change is needed, senators discussed the specific details of the pep rallies. Cavanaugh senator Tegan Chapman, a freshman, said she wants the atmosphere to be more upbeat at the new flagpole gathering point.

"Before the Dillon pep rally and all the music was playing," Chapman said. "If we could get that atmosphere at the flag pole that would be nice."

Senators also discussed the current prevalence of dorm rivalries at pep rallies. Fisher senator Daniel McShea, a sophomore, said he believes the events should be a time for school unity.

"I think the rivalry is important but it's a time for the student body to come together," McShea said.

But Becker said she believes the rivalries between dorms will always play a role.
"As for the dorm rivalry … I feel that when you put the dorms together it's going to happen," Becker said.

Pasquerilla West senator Jessica Fay, a freshman, said  incentives are a change to be considered.

Regardless of the specific format, junior Casey Cockerham, chairman of the Committee on Campus Technology, said changes must be successfully communicated to the student body.

"Let students know you're trying to make the pep rallies shorter," Cockerham said.
Knott senator Alex Kasparie, agreed.

"I think it's really important to explain that we're experimenting," Kasparie said. "Nobody wants to go to Irish Green."