Help us improve

With the end of the academic year fast approaching and our publication schedule winding down, it's almost time for us at The Observer to shift our focus toward next year, when we hope to continue to make The Observer a more informative, comprehensive, user-friendly news source, both in print and online.

When we revamped our Web site, ndsmcobserver.com, last fall, we knew we wanted to create a more attractive design that would make it easier for you to access the stories you can read in print. Over the course of the year, we also worked to expand our use of multimedia in the form of photo galleries and podcasts, while also experimenting with video and a new blog. That's where we see room for the most growth on our Web site next year as we strive to make The Observer a more interactive news source.

We're looking into our video capabilities and other ways in which we can use technology to keep you connected to the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's communities. We want to make our blogs a more prominent, meaningful venue for both our analysis and your feedback on major campus events in News, Sports and Scene. We want to make sure you can easily find our past coverage in the archives. And in addition to improvements to the Web site, we want to continue to develop our coverage of the most important breaking stories that affect our lives at Notre Dame and Saint Mary's on a daily basis.

As our valued readers, that's where you come in. We've got some ideas on how we think we can improve the finished product we work so hard to produce five days a week, but we also want to know what you're looking for in The Observer every day, both in print and online.

Are there campus events we aren't covering in News? Is our coverage missing an important angle in Sports? Should our columnists tackle different issues in Viewpoint? Do you want to hear more about local bands and performances in Scene? Would you like to see more photo and graphic elements on the Web? Or how about additional podcast and video coverage, especially come football season?

We're looking for honest feedback in any of these areas as we head into the summer months and begin to draw up our plans for next year. To have your voice heard, send us an e-mail at improvendsmcobserver@gmail.com and let us know what you'd like to see us change, both in print and online.