SMC Softball: Adrian sweeps pair of contests

Saint Mary's fell twice to Adrian in a doubleheader 14-3 and 9-0 in a MIAA doubleheader Thursday.

The Bulldogs (21-5, 7-1 MIAA) scored in the first inning of the first game, as the Belles (16-14, 5-3) gave up a two-run home run. Saint Mary's answered with two runs of its own in the bottom half of the first inning.

Adrian continued its offensive push, with five more runs over the next three innings, taking a comfortable lead.

Saint Mary's squeaked out one more run, but when Adrian scored six more runs in the final two innings of play, the 14-3 deficit was too much to overcome.

In the second game, Adrian defeated the Belles 9-0 in five innings of play. The Bulldogs picked up right were they left off in the first game as they increased their run total per inning eventually tapering off at five runs in the fourth inning.

Sophomore Angela Gills suffered the loss in the second game as she allowed twelve hits and had one strikeout. Senior Ashley Peterson broke yet another school record for the Belles as she had three RBI on the afternoon. She now holds the record for the most RBI in a season, which was set as recently as 2007.

Saint Mary's will travel to Olivet on Saturday to take on the Comets in a pivotal MIAA matchup. The Belles will be looking to redeem lost ground in the conference standings in the doubleheader. Olivet is just behind Saint Mary's in the conference standings and a Belles loss in the first game would put them both at 5-4 in conference play.

Saint Mary's and Olivet will meet Saturday at 1 p.m.