Class of 2014 stands out

Among the University's largest applicant pool in history, the members of the Class of 2014 stand out.

The University accepted about 29 percent of over 14,500 applicants, resulting in an incoming freshman class that boasts an average SAT score of 1408 and an average ACT of about 32.

"This is another exceptional class for us," Bob Mundy, interim director of Admissions, said.
Mundy said the Office of Admissions works to create a well-rounded, diverse class and is able to do so by providing as much financial aid as possible.

"The University is making a very strong commitment to financial aid that helps us to enroll a class that is as diverse and talented as we have," he said.

About 48 percent of the incoming class will receive need-based financial aid, with an average scholarship of just over $25,600, he said.

Mundy said Notre Dame's commitment to providing financial aid has been crucial.
"With the economy, many colleges are literally scrambling to find ways to spend less money. Fortunately, we remain committed to meeting the full demonstrated need of all of our students," he said.

For those who didn't make the cut for need-based scholarships, this year marked the first time that students had the opportunity to apply for the Hesburgh-Yusko Scholarship, which is merit-based.

The program awarded 25 members of the class of 2014 a scholarship based on academic achievement, leadership, moral character and commitment to service. The scholarship totals at $25,000 per year, per student.

"They are outstanding. They are absolute leaders in their high schools and communities," Joan Ball, associate director of the scholarship program, said.

The class of 2014 is made up of about 2065 students — 53 percent male and 47 percent female. Twenty-four percent of the class is children of Notre Dame alumni.
The class has a similar ethnic make up to last year, with 23 percent of the class coming from minority groups.

Last year, the Admissions Office expressed disappointment in the percentage of black students in the Class of 2013. The group now makes up a slightly larger percentage of this year's incoming class — jumping from 3.5 to 4.3 percent.

Asian Americans make up 7.3 percent of the class, and Hispanics account for 10 percent. Native Americans make up 1.5 percent of the incoming freshman class.

The international population increased slightly from last year's freshman class. The Class of 2014 is made up of 4 percent international students, a 1 percent increase from last year.
This year's international students come from 25 different countries. The largest group of students comes from South Korea, followed by China.

"We have 20 more international students in the class this year, and that group of students was up pretty significantly in their applications as well," Mundy said.

Mundy said the Class of 2014 was "very strong" in extracurricular participation as well.
"We've got some exceptional stories of students committing to and completing some tremendous volunteer work, some statewide and national honors," he said.