Student government offers city bus tour

To counteract students' tendency to stay within the Notre Dame campus "bubble," student government is offering a bus tour of South Bend.

The bus tour, which has been offered for the past five years, will leave from the flagpole between the Joyce Center and the stadium at 5 p.m. Monday.

The tour is meant to provide students an opportunity to see the city of South Bend as more than just home to the University.

Junior Claire Sokas, chair of student government's Community Outreach Committee, said students, especially freshmen, have much to gain from becoming better acquainted with the community outside the campus.

"It will give them a better idea of the opportunities and activities off campus," Sokas said. "I hope it gets them to get off campus a lot more than I did my freshman year."

Transpo, South Bend's bus service, provided the buses and collaborated with student government in planning the event.

"I hope it helps [students] realize how easy it is to get off campus with Transpo, and how many things there are to do, especially in downtown South Bend which is really thriving," Sokas said.

The bus tour will highlight the city's shopping and dining areas — from the stores and restaurants along the campus's perimeter at Eddy Street Commons to those at the center of downtown South Bend.

The tour will stop downtown at the Morris Plaza for pizza and a brief presentation with Mayor Stephen Luecke before returning to campus, Sokas said.

While incoming freshmen are especially encouraged to take advantage of the bus tour, all students are welcome to take part, and there should be enough space on the buses to accommodate all interested students.

"The tour is open to anyone, but geared towards freshmen," Sokas said. "Last year's turnout was really good, so we're hoping this year's is too."

There will be a table set up at Domerfest tonight where freshmen can get more information about the tour.

The tour is expected to take less than two hours and students can expect to be back on campus before 7 p.m. Monday.