Eddy Street Hosts Open House

When most Notre Dame students think of Eddy Street Commons, they might envision the long lines that frequently form outside Chipotle and Five Guys Burgers and Fries. However, several new retailers and eateries have opened their doors in the development, and Saturday's Eddy Street Commons Block Party aims to connect students with the new opportunities available to them nearby.

The event, which is one of four events in the Student Government-sponsored beND kickoff weekend, will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Eddy Street Commons.

The event will feature music, promotions from several businesses and "a casual opportunity for students to explore the new stores and to hang out with friends," student body president Catherine Soler said.

Soler said she and student body vice president Andrew Bell came up with the idea for the event several months ago.

"Andrew and I thought of this event during our campaign," Soler said. "It's a great way to introduce Eddy Street Commons as a place where students should feel welcome and be able to connect with the community."

The participating stores and restaurants will be open during the event and will offer students a variety of promotions. Students may obtain punch cards that will enable them to receive a free tote bag or T-shirt if they get the card punched at each participating retailer. The cards will be available Friday at the block party.

However, students do not have to participate in each store's promotion in order to receive a free gift, Soler said.

Promotions include free coffee mugs from the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore, $5 off any item at Camellia Cosmetics, fresh popcorn from Old National Bank, 50 percent off all milkshakes and malts at The Mark Dine and Tap, waived enrollment for students at Anytime Fitness and a free blue and gold T-shirt with purchase of $25 or more at Outpost Sports. However, two popular Eddy Street tenants are notably missing from the list of participating stores.

"Five Guys and Chipotle, the most well-known vendors, are not even participating in the Block Party, so participation is coming from places that students have yet to explore," Soler said. "It's a great time for students to discover the other opportunities offered there."

In keeping with beND's goal of fostering better community relations and furthering engagement between Notre Dame and the surrounding area, student government's special events committee collaborated with Eddy Street Commons and Kite Realty, the developers of the Commons, to make the event a reality.

"We've been working a lot with these two groups, so we're excited about their enthusiasm and support for the event," junior Erin Pankiw, co-director of special events for Student Government, said. "We think it's a good indication of future relationships between Notre Dame and the nearby community."

Soler said students could submit suggestions and comments about the block party at designated tables during the event.