Fashion's Night Out

"Shop For Something Good." This was the catch phrase of the extravaganza known as Fashion's Night Out. On September 10, designers, models, socialites and students flooded the streets of Manhattan in search of the most glamorous parties in town.

The fashion industry is one filled with plenty of velvet ropes and guest lists, but for one night only, the world of fashion opens its doors to the greater public in celebration of the opening of New York Fashion Week.  From the catch phrase one may have assumed that the event would be supporting some worthy charity or helping people in need, but no, it's all about fashion.

Fashion's Night Out is essentially a string of parties that all occur on the same night, bringing together celebrity fashion fans, designers and models-of-the-moment, essentially just to prove how amazing they are. The proceeds from the official Fashion's Night Out shirt actually does benefit the New York City AIDS Fund, so it's one purchase of the night that no one should feel guilty about (too bad the same can't be said about a pair of pricey designer heels). It can be argued, though, that the event serves as a means of publicizing up-and-coming designers and giving them a larger fan base that will help support their artistic endeavors by purchasing their clothing. In that sense it is certainly honorable.

Opening Ceremony, the innovative department store that showcases talented new designers as well as the high priced mainstays of the industry, organized a French-style flea market in the Ace Hotel. The market brought together the work of designers like Alexander Wang, Rodarte and Proenza Schouler. Definitely not an average flea market by any standard.

Pop Magazine hosted what was essentially a rave at New York concert venue Don Hill's. The guests were surprised with a performance from Iggy Pop. Despite the gritty exterior the party guests were among the most glamorous in the industry including Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rosdale, and Margherita Missoni.

Sak's Fifth Avenue hosted one of the largest soirees of the evening and it was packed wall to wall with celebrities and fashion fans from the local area. Attendees were able to meet designers like Victor & Rolf, Prabal Gurung, and Zac Posen while brushing shoulders with the likes of Claire Danes and Coco Rocha. It had to have been a fashion fantasy come true.

Bergdorf Goodman was a magnet for large numbers of celebrities during its celebration of Fashion's Night Out. The store hosted appearances from renowned designers Tom Ford and Jason Wu and a karaoke competition with the likes of Cynthia Rowley and Nicholas Kirkwood. Throughout the night various games were played which simply served as a distraction from guests like Victoria Beckham, Heidi Klum and Nicole Richie.

The second annual Fashion's Night Out was by any means a success and brought out all the hip young stars for a good cause as well as good times. Champagne flowed freely, designers played poker with their greatest admirers, and all were welcome to partake in the celebration when the fashion industry opened its doors to the rest of the world, and when the doors were closed once more it left attendees of Fashion's Night Out begging for more.