Irish Insider Predictions

Douglas  Farmer, Sports Editor

Big wheels keep on turning, and despite a loss to Michigan, so will Notre Dame's season.

Presuming Dayne Crist is healthy, and all indications say he is, the Irish shouldn't have a problem scoring on the Spartans. Michigan State will limit Notre Dame's ability to run the ball, but Brian Kelly hasn't relied on the ground game yet, and there is no reason for him to in East Lansing.

Kirk Cousins will cause the Irish secondary a few problems, but in the end, the Notre Dame defense will rise to the occasion and show its doubters what it really can do.

Final Score: Notre Dame 24, Michigan State 20

Matt Gamber, Sports Writer

It doesn't get any easier for the Irish, who could use a fast start on the road against a Spartans program that always gives Notre Dame a tough game. The Irish will face a completely different offensive scheme for the third straight week, and they'll need their athletic linebackers and talented, but injury-depleted, safeties to fly to the ball and be ready to stop the power run game. Notre Dame keeps Dayne Crist upright, Michael Floyd continues to get more involved, and the Irish defense steps up late to prevent Brian Kelly from falling to 1-2.

Final Score: Notre Dame 27, Michigan State 20

Eric Prister, Associate Sports Editor:

Despite the loss, the Irish showed signs of life against Michigan that were absent for much of last season. The offense, when Dayne Crist was on the field, showed definite improvement, scoring on four of six possessions when he was in the game. The passing game looks like it's starting to click, and that doesn't bode well for Michigan State's untested defense.

Granted, the Irish gave up 502 total yards to one player last week, but that one player is exceptional, and the Notre Dame defense matches up better against a pro-style offense.

Final Score: Notre Dame 31, Michigan State 23

Sam Werner, Sports Writer

We say it every week, but this game will provide the biggest test for Brian Kelly and the Irish thus far. In college football, there's nothing tougher than playing in a nationally-televised, primetime road game the week after a heartbreaking loss. For whatever reason, though, I can't shake the feeling that the Irish will squeak this one out. Michigan State hasn't played anyone of note yet, while the Irish have two games against quality opponents under their belt. That should translate into an early Notre Dame lead, allowing the Irish to run the ball and get the win.

Final Score: Notre Dame 28, Michigan State 20

Laura Myers, Sports Writer

This game will be a test of Notre Dame's mental strength and Brian Kelly's motivation skills, as the team has to rebound from its first disappointment at a tough road environment. Kirk Cousins and the Spartans offense have yet to score less than 30 points; Greg Jones and the Spartans defense have yet to give up more than 20.

But the Irish should be the biggest challenge yet for Michigan State. It will be a tight game throughout, but Notre Dame will prove to be a strong team and will build momentum for the tough stretch of games to follow.

Final Score: Notre Dame 34, Michigan State 31