Memorial Mass held for Seeberg

More than 400 students, faculty, staff, family and friends gathered together in remembrance of Elizabeth "Lizzy" Seeberg, a Saint Mary's College student who died Friday.

The College held a memorial Mass in Regina Hall's Chapel Monday evening.

Members of the Saint Mary's College community filled the chapel. Attendees filled all of the chapel's seats; many attendees stood or sat on the ground.

Fr. John Pearson celebrated the Mass.

"It's hard to believe, that it's barely 72 hours since shock descended on McCandless Hall and Saint Mary's from Lizzy's death," Pearson said. "It's been such a strong reality that in some weird way it feels like the feelings and emotions and reactions have been going on for a very long time."

Pearson shared his experience meeting Seeberg and said her bright personality and sunny disposition affected everyone she met.

"Here at Saint Mary's we grieve for Lizzy both because of the presence and friendship and vitality she left us with, and because we know we will miss all that she could have been here and how she might have placed her own particular stamp on our community, our family," he said.

Lizzy's father Tom Seeberg, as well as other family and friends, attended the Mass.

Carol Ann Mooney, president of the College, participated in the Mass as the lector.

At the end of the service, Seeberg's father spoke to the congregation.

Karen Johnson, vice president of Student Affairs, said Saint Mary's College would provide transportation for any students who wished to attend the funeral Friday.

The visitation will be held Thursday at N.H. Scott & Hanekamp Funeral Home, located at 1240 Waukegan Road in Glenview, Ill. from 4 to 9 p.m. The Funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Norbert Church, located at 1809 Walters Ave. in Northbrook, Ill.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Christ the King Jesuit College Prep at www.ctkjesuit.org or Erika's Lighthouse at www.erikaslighthouse.org