Not talkin 'bout practice: Sept. 8

For the second week in a row, an Observer reporter may or may not have been at practice Wednesday.

After practice, Irish coach Brian Kelly approached the media in a new visor, which was blue and gold with a red, white and blue ND monogram. Kelly and the coaching staff will wear the same visors on Saturday's game against Michigan as part of an effort by both teams to commemorate September 11, and players will have special jerseys as well.

"I think it was really an effort that was launched by Michigan and Notre Dame, and Adidas wanted to be part of that as well," Kelly said. "It's an effort on the part of both Universities to recognize 9/11."

Kelly then spoke of fifth-year center Dan Wenger, who suffered his second concussion in three weeks at Tuesday's practice and could be out for the foreseeable future.

"Right now we have to be extremely conservative with a young man who hasn't had game contact, and has suffered two concussions," Kelly said. "We're never going to make any announcements on a young kid's future in the media, but player safety is of the utmost concern here."

Junior Braxston Cave is the starter at the center position; should Wenger be unable to play, Kelly said sophomore Chris Watt could become the backup center. Watt is currently second on the depth chart at left guard.