Priests, students meet to pray, discuss vocation

Fr. Pat Reidy, a 2008 Notre Dame graduate who recently joined the priesthood, spent Wednesday night with undergraduates who might be considering the same calling.

Corby Night, held in Corby Hall, was an evening of prayer and conversation between current priests and men considering priesthood on campus.

Reidy said the night would give men considering priesthood the opportunity to talk in a comfortable setting within a community that shares a similar understanding and mission.

Reidy said he was strongly influenced as an undergraduate by Fr. Jim King, his former rector in Sorin College who told him, "If you're discerning the religious life, just try it."

The night began with a welcoming by many of the priests in the Holy Cross Seminary. A night prayer service followed, during which Fr. Matt Kuczora delivered a homily about his reasons for becoming a priest.

The event concluded with a chance for those interested in any aspect of vocation to have a friendly meet and greet with priests from all over campus.

There was no pressure to commit, but the night was meant to "simply let people know of the different opportunities on campus that might help them in discerning how God is calling them to live," said Fr. Ralph Haag, rector of St. Edward's Hall.

He said he hoped Corby Night would help men move in the direction that God wishes for them to serve, whether or not that includes the priesthood.

Kuczora said the priests shared moving stories and reasons for their unique lifestyle, which were meant to help men who attended Corby Night discern their own feelings. The priests encouraged anyone who even slightly feels God's calling to come and be assisted by a welcoming community.

Holy Cross Seminary offers many programs for anyone interested in vocation. For a list of upcoming events and seminary news, visit www.vocation.nd.edu