Saint Mary's to host 'Tailgate'

The Saint Mary's Student Activites Board (SAB) will host a Twilight Tailgate on Library Green this Thursday at 9 p.m.

"Twilight Tailgate has been a traditional event each year that has varied from outdoor movies to concerts," SAB president Allie Courtney said.

This year, SAB will be screening "Toy Story 3" and serving caramel apples, apple cider, hot cocoa and popcorn.

"Toy Story 3" was chosen because it was most readily available through Swank Motion Pictures Incorporated, the company through which SAB purchases movies, Courtney said.

"We also picked ‘Toy Story 3' because of its popularity this summer and it seems like a movie that fits perfectly with the culture on campus," she said.

The event is free to all Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students.

The first 400 students to arrive will receive a free fleece blanket.

SAB receives a certain allotment of money from the Student Government Association (SGA) a year in order to pay for student events, Courtney said.

Courtney said the Board has been trying to create new events and enhance old ones, and that she wants SAB to establish a name on campus.

"SAB's goal is to increase participation, variety and volume at all of this year's events," Courtney said.

SAB is currently planning an Oktoberfest on campus, a screening of the sixth Harry Potter film before the new Harry Potter movie release and arranging artists for Spring Tostal.

"This is our second big event of the year," Courtney said. "We are really excited and hope a lot of people come out."