SMC holds leadership conference

The Center for Women's Intercultural Leadership (CWIL) Conference will take place this weekend at Saint Mary's College.

"This year's conference focuses on the themes of leadership, women, intercultural studies and the intersection between them," said Mana Derakhshani, a College faculty member helping to organize the conference.

These ideas will be explored at the conference through various speakers, roundtable discussions, panels and workshops.

The conference is hosted by the Center for Women's Intercultural Studies and will start today and continue through Saturday.

Beverly Tatum, president of Spellman College, a historically black college for women, will be the keynote speaker. She will give a presentation entitled "Educating Tomorrow's Global Women Leaders" tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the

O'Laughlin Auditorium.

Tatum has made a career out of women's education, written several books and is an expert on race and identity, Derakhshani said.

"She epitomizes in many ways the various themes of the conference", she said.

Derakhshani emphasized how the CWIL Conference's themes related to everyday life.

"Some of the presenters and most of the participants are not professors or academia. They bring together theory and practice," she said. "The conference is a place to share ideas, to learn about innovative projects and theories or how people are dealing with these issues in research and practice."

She encouraged students to attend the conference. For more information, visit the CWIL website at http://www.centerforwomeninleadership.org/research-and-scholarship/cwil-conference-2010/schedule-a-glance.