SMC Soccer: Saint Mary's unable to contain Wesleyan

The Belles were unable to hold off the dynamic attack of No. 15 Illinois Wesleyan, losing 6-0 Wednesday night in Bloomington, Ill.

It was not all bad for Saint Mary's, which had reasonable scoring chances early but could not capitalize. From that point on, Illinois Wesleyan dominated.

The Titans first got on the board in the 19th minute with a goal from freshman Tillie Bill. Moments later, the Titans tallied another score when a Belles defender deflected a shot off the foot of freshman Kristina Dolak and into the back of the net.

The elements played a crucial role in the Titans next goal, when Bill scored her second of the game by using the wind at her back to guide to ball into the goal. The Titans' commanding 3-0 lead was too much for the Belles to overcome.

The Titans added three more goals in the second half, including another by Bill, completing her hat trick.

The Belles tallied four shots on goal in the second half. Perhaps their best opportunity to get on the scoreboard happened when freshman Mollie Valencia unleashed a shot, but Titans' goalie Alli Novak made a diving stop to preserve the shut out.

Junior goalkeeper Kristen Nelson made eight saves to limit the damage as best she could. The defenders also contributed to the save total by adding three of their own in the first half, which gave the Belles a total of 11 for the game.

It will not get any easier for the Belles, as their search for their first win takes them to Westerville, Ohio, this weekend to play in a tournament hosted by No. 7 Otterbein. They will play Otterbein Friday night, with a game against Ohio Northern to follow on Saturday.